Input is looking for a knowledgeable and ambitious Senior Editor, Gaming to lead our daily gaming coverage (news, reviews, guides, features, etc.) The ideal candidate lives and breathes gaming across multiple platforms (PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo, PC, etc.) and knows how to pinpoint stories and package them into ones distinctly for Input. In addition, they understand how gaming complements consumer tech, culture, design, and style.
Gaming is for everyone. It now touches everything. Input’s gaming coverage should reflect this intersection with our other verticals. The Senior Editor, Gaming will report to the Deputy Editor of Reviews & Guides and work closely to assign, commission, and edit gaming stories across our staff and freelancers. The Senior Editor, Gaming should be comfortable working in a fast-moving newsroom, ideating angles, and using our bespoke formats to go deeper with stories.
Input is a tech, design, and style focused publication dedicated to bringing a new perspective on the most important, interesting, and vital stories of this moment — on a platform that is uniquely modern, with voices that are authoritative, insightful, and cut through the noise.
Applicants should have demonstrable professional daily editing experience and a clear understanding of the 24/7 news cycle. You should be comfortable with a high volume of information and lots of incoming ideas / requests on a busy day. You should be very familiar with the way news travels on the web and social networks both as a consumer and as a creator.
Applicants should have a knack for zeroing in on the heart of a story, strong opinions and knowledge about their chosen subjects. The ideal candidate is capable of juggling a team of writers (staff and freelance) to get fresh gaming stories and perspectives in on a consistent and timely basis.
- Edit 6-8 gaming news stories daily, including morning news, breaking news and updates, reviews, guides and/or features
- Occasionally write originals (reviews, guides, features, essays, etc.)
- Assist Deputy Editor of Reviews & Guides with alignment on larger projects/campaigns to grow audience on and off-site
- Manage a team of freelance writers and expanding the bench
- Monitor the news cycle and contribute to morning/afternoon vets, staying on top of breaking news
- Liaise with companies on behalf of Input to establish coverage
- Attend events (virtual and non-virtual)
- Minimum 4+ years editing, reporting and writing experience covering gaming
- Must be accustomed to working in a small, fast-paced newsroom, and maintain a high level of organization
- Ability to efficiently edit stories, provide constructive feedback, and nurture ideas (big or small) into high-impact coverage
- Should love picking out interesting stories and presenting new angles of coverage for assignment
- Flexibility to work as needed outside of regular business hours in the event of breaking news
- A familiarity with project management tools like Trello and data tools like Parse.ly, Google Trends, etc.