We’re looking for a Senior Editor, Cities to join Thrillist, within Vox Media! As a member of the Editorial team, you’ll delve deeply into the unique character, neighborhoods, events, people, and food scenes, giving our readers credible recommendations. Our goal is to give locals the intel and inspiration they need to eat better and have more fun in their own cities, while also helping travelers make the most of their time when they’re in a new place.
You will oversee writers in multiple U.S. cities and will be responsible for assigning, editing and composing original content of your own. This position demands a nimble editor who can quickly turn around clean copy infused with humor, personality, and rock-solid reporting. You’ll work with (and recruit) a large roster of freelance writers to stay on top of what’s happening in your cities, and create fresh, serviceable stories that get to the heart of what a place is all about.
Knowledge in SEO, and the ability to provide writers with clear assignments and sharp feedback, are an absolute must. This editor will juggle many stories and priorities simultaneously, so constant attention to organization and deadlines is also essential.
Who We Are
Thrillist celebrates life at the intersection of culture and experience, inspiring people to pursue spontaneity through food, drink, and travel.
Thrillist is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
What You’ll Do
- Brainstorm, assign and edit actionable service stories that represent our brand and drive our audience to have more fun in the cities around them.
- Develop a strong network of writers and sources in your cities and coverage areas, and constantly work to recruit new writers and experts.
- Maintain weekly, monthly, and annual editorial calendars and ensure deadlines are being met.
- Use data insights and analytics to better understand our audience and apply those insights to inform future story ideas and execution.
- Develop a deep knowledge and expertise in the places you cover, understanding what makes each city unique, and what changes are taking place there.
- Be a regular, active partner with Thrillist’s distribution, video, and design teams to ensure every story is supported visually and promoted effectively.
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
- Being a thought leader in the industry in terms of profiles, trends and features
- Mastering SEO and search trends by market with high performing results
- Working with writers to refine curation and providing thoughtful feedback and edits to make our content best in class
Who You Are
- 5+ years of editorial experience in digital media, including at least one year of experience as an editor.
- Strong writing skills.
- The ability to multi-task, balance priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of what’s trending in food and restaurants, and an understanding of the food media landscape and how we can carve out unique spaces in it.
- Strong understanding of how content is consumed and distributed online and via social and search platforms, with a particular emphasis on SEO.
- Good communicator both to members of your own team, to representatives of other departments, and to freelance writers.
- Knowledge of digital media landscape, and where your coverage fits into that competitive field.
If you think you have what it takes, but don’t meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We would love to have a chat and see if you could be a great addition to our team. We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
What We Offer
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
What Comes Next
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.