Building Editor, This Old House magazine
Guide readers of this trusted home– improvement brand’s magazine on their journey of homeownership, from renovating and upgrading the house to its repair and maintenance, whether they want to do a job themselves or are preparing to hire it out.
About The Role
The Building Editor’s mission is to create compelling content that furthers readers’ understanding of their houses and empowers them to make the most of the place they call home. The Building Editor is the go– to staff expert on home building, workshop tools and materials, DIY projects, and building science and technology.
This role reports to the Stamford, CT office; all employees are currently working remotely until further notice due to Covid– 19. After Covid there will be a hybrid in office/remote work policy.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Assigning and editing the Workshop section in each quarterly issue of This Old House magazine. This includes step– by– step projects; tool guides; reader questions answered by TOH experts; new product coverage; and seasonal home maintenance information.
- Assigning and editing stories for other sections of the magazine, as needed. These may include coverage of the TOH TV project houses, remodeling guides, and in– depth features about house systems and building materials.
- Working closely with the Photo Director and Art Directors to shape the visual presentation of your stories.
- Creating extra content elements for thisoldhouse.com.
- Providing feedback on other editors’ stories to ensure construction details are accurate.
- Assembling reference materials for illustrators to create technical drawings and guiding them through the process.
- Editing step– by– step photos for thoroughness and accuracy.
- Calling in products or manufacturer’s photos, as needed.
- Working with fact checkers and copy editors to shepherd text through the production cycle.
- Responding to occasional reader questions.
We’re excited if you have
- A demonstrated interest in home building and remodeling, and a thorough understanding of how a house works, from its framed– up skeleton to its plumbing pathways and electrical circuits.
- The equivalent of 7+ years working at a publication that covers residential remodeling and construction.
- A knack for translating complex, sometimes technical information into engaging, easy– to– read articles anyone can understand.
- A talent for creating clear, concise how– to copy, as well as fresh, conversational display.
- Experience editing technical illustrations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- A detail– oriented, well– organized approach to your work.
- The ability to juggle multiple projects and deadlines
About This Old House
This Old House is a leading multi– platform home enthusiast brand, serving over 20 million consumers each month with trusted information and expert advice. This Old House connects with audiences through its Emmy Award– winning television shows This Old House and Ask This Old House, its highly regarded This Old House magazine, and its inspiration and information– driven digital properties, including ThisOldHouse.com, streaming app, free ad– supported channels, podcasts (Clearstory and Ask This Old House), social platforms, popular YouTube channel, and Insider subscription club. This Old House and Ask This Old House are presented on PBS by WETA Washington, DC. This Old House Ventures, LLC is a Roku (NASDAQ: ROKU) company.