Pillar4 is seeking a Health Editor to join our fast– growing team and work on one of our most successful digital brands and market leader in the sleep health and reviews landscape, Sleepopolis.com.
We’re looking for someone who’s passionate about health and wellness, loves service content – brainstorming, creating, and analyzing it – and wants to help others get a great night’s sleep. Bonus points if you love diving into analytics and testing out sleep products! This role will report to the head of content and work closely with the SEO team to develop our evergreen health and lifestyle content strategy.
- Lead our evergreen sleep health and lifestyle strategy, creating a mix of social– first and SEO– friendly content that is thorough, well– researched, and shareable
- Collaborate with the SEO team to identify content gaps and new content opportunities; prioritize updates or new sleep content creation in categories such as relationships, mental health, parenting, chronic conditions, and nutrition
- Ensure stories are fully optimized for SEO
- Recruit, hire, and train freelance writers
- Assign, edit, and publish around 8 to 10 stories per month (will be a mix of new content creations and updates)
- Brainstorm creative, fresh ways to package evergreen content (for example, creating new franchises) across platforms (newsletter, social, on site)
- Monitor performance and use analytics to inform content strategy and adjust accordingly
- Support the content marketing team with quarterly campaigns
This role demands sharp editorial instincts and creative strategic thinking. Pillar4 is an early– stage, fast– growing company, so we all get our hands dirty. Important competencies include:
- A passion for health and wellness. You don’t need to be a sleep expert, but a background in health and wellness is essential.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills. You maintain a methodical process and high standard of excellence in your work, while balancing multiple projects and meeting tight deadlines.
- Rigorous reporting and research skills. You know the difference between animal and human studies, understand why sample size makes a difference in results, and are able to interpret and relay that information to readers in a digestible format.
What You Bring
- 3– 5 years of editorial and SEO experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Thoughtful editorial judgment and rigorous reporting and research skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills
- Drive to quickly gain expertise on a subject matter that might be foreign to you
- Proven ability to juggle multiple projects at once and shift priorities as needed
- Experience working in common CMS platforms like WordPress
While we’re looking for specific experiences and skill sets, nothing is more important than a strong can– do attitude, resilience in the face of change and uncertainty, and a passion for learning and creating.
What We Look For
- Openness to feedback and collaboration: You’ll be working closely with folks across different teams, so you’ll need to be open to the process and accept feedback and critique.
- Strong communication skills: You’ll have the ability to build relationships with external stakeholders, report up to internal stakeholders, and foster strong alignment with your team.
- Alignment with Pillar4’s culture: We live by our values and expect our team to buy in.
- Act with focus
- Get after it
- Grow without limits
- Build the team
- Entrepreneurial spirit: Our team members act like entrepreneurs in that we are incredibly driven, agile, goal– oriented, and are always up for a challenge.
Why You Should Join Us
- Results: Pillar4 has built the #1 digital media company in the sleep health and wellness space and is profitably expanding into fitness, nutrition, and mental health verticals.
- Stability: We are privately owned, have a holding period of ‘forever,’ and have significant cash to invest.
- Exposure: You will have a front– row seat in growing a business. Your teammates have built and sold companies, managed hundreds of employees, and run campaigns with Fortune 500 brands.
- Market landscape: The $4 trillion health and wellness market is a highly relatable industry that is transforming. There’s no better time than now to be building a business in this space.
- Career growth: There is no cap on growth, promotions, or the opportunity to own and put your stamp on important projects. Prove your value and you will be rewarded accordingly.
- Learning: We are a mighty team with subject matter experts in creative, branding, content strategy, SEO, paid media, and more. The opportunity to grow new skills and learn from smart people is endless.
- Impact– focused: Opportunities to take part in our quarterly initiatives with organizations like Beds for Kids and The Green Chair Project and help respond to the critical needs of our local communities.
- Fun: The team has a high bar for excellence but also a real interest in each other and making work fun.
Base salary and performance– based bonus commensurate with experience. At Pillar4, you’ll have access to competitive benefits, including health insurance, 401k, a monthly wellness stipend for house cleaning, gym membership, grocery delivery or massages, and cell phone reimbursement.
Background on Pillar4 Media
Launched in the fall of 2017, Pillar4 Media operates a portfolio of websites that help consumers live their best days, starting with their best night’s sleep. Known internally as the “Dream Team,” we aim to educate consumers about whole body health and wellness and help them make better, faster purchase decisions to improve their health. We also partner with the leading direct– to– consumer brands in our markets to grow their businesses online. Pillar4 has operations in Charlotte, Raleigh, NYC, Austin, and Ozark, MO, and teammates stretching to Portland. Our current Pillar4 Media portfolio includes:
- MattressAdvisor.com, launched in October 2017.
- MattressNerd.com, acquired in September 2018.
- Sleepopolis.com, acquired in May 2020.
- MattressClarity.com, acquired in May 2020.
- TheFitHouse.com, launched February 2021.
- GarageGymReviews.com, acquired April 2021.
- Digital partnerships with multiple tier– 1 global publishers.
One Better Ventures (OBV) is an investor in Pillar4. OBV is a consumer– focused venture capital firm focused on creating sustainable businesses that do good in the world. OBV is led by the former management teams of Burt’s Bees and Seventh Generation.
All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, gender identity, or any other discriminatory factors. Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this role. All offers are subject to a background check.