Beyond is a community– tech product that helps community– led businesses succeed. We enable them to leverage the power of Web3, automate, and operationalize their communities. Consumer business is becoming more and more community– led, and we’re equipping them with the tools to kick ass.
We’re a highly ambitious team on a mission to make communities awesome. We care about building a great place to work as much as we care about shipping a great product. That means we take care of each other, we make sure there are opportunities to grow, and you’ll never be bored.
We’re a fully remote team, sitting in various locations around Europe. Currently, we are three (but about to grow fast!) Katia lives in Berlin and leads the entire commercial side of Beyond, including Sales & Marketing. Alex lives in Barcelona and leads Product & UX. Shane lives in Lisbon and leads Tech & drives business.
We’re a highly collaborative bunch, who like to challenge each other a lot, in pursuit of great outcomes. We hope you’ll challenge us too.
The Founding Designer role will be the first Design hire in the company. We believe that great Design shapes what we build and how we approach building, and therefore want to invest in this role on day 1. We want to make Design a core foundation of our company’s DNA. This means that you’ll never have to justify the importance of Design. As such, you’ll play a massive role in shaping the foundation of our product, from core features to our visual identity, how we do things, and team culture.
Being part of an early– stage startup, you can expect to be working on many different things. Still, your focus will be to help build and improve a beautiful web3 product for communities. Day to day you’ll be working closely with the whole team, but mostly product, marketing, and tech.
We take a hypothesis and experimental approach to product discovery and development. We test everything and make decisions based on data and research. We like to ship early and often, without spending too much energy debating the perfect output — let’s test it and see!
Yet the first designer has the power to transform the entire trajectory of a startup, shaping everything from how users interact with the product to the branding and creative work that draws in new customers. This position can grow with the company from individual contributor to a more leadership and management role.
Here are a few specific things you’ll encounter on the regular:
- Understanding the user problem in– depth to create the best possible experience.
- Deeply collaborate with team members to find design solutions.
- UX and UI testing.
- Create a compelling visual product experience.
- Prototype and test new ideas.
- Participating in interviews and supporting product and design hiring decisions.
- You’re comfortable with — not just tolerant of — change and uncertainty.
- You operate with transparency. You need to be able to explain your thought process and how you’re weighing each decision.
- Excellent communicator of design work and your rationale behind proposals
- You’re a jack of most trades. Be a generalist and comfortable with a lot of things. Maybe you’re not the best at any one in particular — and that’s okay.
- You work quickly. Take big bets and iterate quickly.
- You have helped ship products – experience designing and leading digital products and systems, not just websites.
- An appreciation of the entire product development process, from problem– solving through to detailed UI and visual design
- The ability to create beautiful high– fidelity mockups of your designs using Sketch, Figma, etc.
- You think with scale in mind. If you wait to start thinking of structure when the team is larger, it’s already too late.
- You went down the rabbit hole, and web3 is nothing new to you.
What this role is NOT
- It’s not a regular designer role — you’ll be jumping in to work on lots of different problems with us. This will involve different problems, contributing your ideas, helping out other team members, and chatting to our users.
- It’s not a role where all your work is delegated — there is planned stuff (which you’ll be involved with planning) but you’ll also be proactive in making things better.
- It’s not a management role — though this role is a senior position (which comes with some senior expectations) you won’t be directly managing others. (But you’ll be able to grow into this, if that’s where you want to go!)
What you’ll get
- Flexible hours — we don’t set hard boundaries, as long as you’re able to collaborate with the team effectively
- Growth opportunities — we are a growing startup, and you’ll have the opportunity to grow with us
- Education — you’ll get time and budget to learn new (work– related) stuff
- Exposure to early– stage startup life — we are early, and things are moving fast every day. You’ll be able to directly influence how our product and our company evolve.
- Remote (Europe), plus budget for co– working space
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast– growing start– up
- Latest equipment and home office budget
- Premium health insurance
- Paid parental leave
- Regular off– sites in cool European locations
What’s next? Apply here
If this all sounds good to you, apply here 👉 https://airtable.com/shrHZ370VJp92YiSf
If you feel like you don’t meet all requirements for this job posting, don’t be afraid to apply anyway. We know impostor syndrome can get in the way, but should not stop us from hiring the best.
Here’s what to expect:
- You apply.
- We aim to get back to you as quickly as possible — most likely within 1– 2 days.
- [30min] Screener call to check the basics and align on the role fit.
- Take– home assignment to get a feeling of your thought process and your design skills (approx. 1 hr)
- [45min] Hiring manager interview — chatting about how you work, how you think, getting to know you (and you getting to know us).
- [45min] Founders interview — getting to know the other founders, getting a feel for how you’d interact cross– functionally.
- We’ll get back to you with an answer pretty quick! We don’t have a fixed timeline, but we are a small team and like to act fast.
Cheat codes (tips to be successful)
- We like to see your personality shine through in the application. We want to work with great humans!
- We like to hear about things you’ve done more than the companies you worked for. It’s great if you can highlight the things you’ve done that you’re proud of.
- Show vs. tell. If you can show evidence of your skills, that helps a lot!
- We are an early– stage startup! Are you an entrepreneur too? Or aspire to be one? Tell us more.