Toptal is a global network of top freelance talent in business, design, and technology that enables companies to scale their teams, on-demand. With $200+ million in annual revenue and over 40% year-over-year growth, Toptal is the world’s largest fully remote company.
We take the best elements of virtual teams and combine them with a support structure that encourages innovation, social interaction, and fun. We see no borders, move at a fast pace, and are never afraid to break the mold.
As an Editor for the Toptal Engineering Pod, you will help Toptal continue to grow as a world-class publication for top software development experts. Reporting to the Editorial Services Lead, you will be working closely with Toptal’s global network of top computer engineering experts to write and enhance in-depth, thought-leading articles on the most important trends in computer science. You will be responsible for maintaining an extremely high quality bar for all articles. Stellar writing abilities, ambition, a collaborative spirit, and drive are requirements for this position.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
- As part of a cross-functional pod of writers and editors, you will develop high-quality, cutting-edge content to address key business goals, priority themes, and audience needs.
- You will work with thought leaders across a variety of disciplines and industries to showcase their expertise through educational studies designed for an audience of other top engineering consultants.
- You will follow the editorial processes of Toptal’s Engineering Pod and the Editorial Services team to develop, publish, and distribute content in a timely manner.
- You will provide editorial assistance from a strategic, high-level view down to grammatical nitty-gritty, and everything in between, transforming key ideas into clear, concise prose as needed.
- You will coordinate with related teams to ensure consistent, on-brand delivery of content and all related components and assets, including text, metadata, and images.
- You will be a critical subject-matter reviewer for engineering-related content developed by other pods.
- You will work with Toptal network talent to write, edit, and publish in-depth articles on the most important events and trends in engineering and development, and you will ensure that all articles published meet the publication’s A+ quality bar.
- You will collaborate with other editors, writers, and strategists on the Publications team to evaluate, validate, and publish content on the Toptal Engineering Blog as part of larger brand or integrated marketing campaigns and initiatives.
- You will stay on the cutting edge of industry trends, adapting the topics and themes you cover to stay relevant and provide intelligence to the Toptal team by reviewing articles published by competitors and media outlets in the space.
In The First Week, Expect To
- Learn about Toptal’s Engineering offering and get a sense of the voice of the publication.
- Onboard onto the Publications team by working closely with the suite of resources available.
- Learn the publishing process and associated tools.
In The First Month, Expect To
- Work with top engineering experts from around the world to prepare in-depth articles on the most important concepts and trends in engineering.
- Work with engineering experts across a variety of disciplines to showcase their expertise through educational articles (practical, theoretical, and/or conceptual), designed for an audience of other top engineering experts.
- Become familiar with what an A+ Toptal Engineering article looks like, and develop personal habits and processes to ensure that all pieces to be published will achieve this standard.
- Assist writers of various skill levels in all aspects of writing while maintaining a professional and helpful communication style.
In The First Three Months, Expect To
- Publish and distribute completed articles, then monitor and facilitate responses to audience feedback.
- Stay on the cutting edge of industry trends, publishing analysis on important developments and providing intelligence to the Toptal team by reviewing relevant articles published by competitors and media outlets in the space.
- Collaborate with peers on the Editorial Services team to contribute ideas for process improvement as needed.
- Collaborate on a conceptual level with colleagues on the Illustrations team to ensure relevant, correct, reader-valuable imagery accompanies technical content where applicable.
In The First Six Months, Expect To
- Keep collaborators engaged while you continue to balance multiple simultaneous editing assignments without sacrificing quality.
- Help demonstrate the expertise and knowledge of Toptal’s world-class talent network and Toptal as a whole.
- Demonstrate the value of joining Toptal’s talent network to those with in-demand skills and expertise.
In The First Year, Expect To
- Work to improve the quality and impact of the publication via partnerships and assets across Toptal (PR, events, community, etc.).
- Continually raise the bar and contribute new ideas for elevating the expertise of Toptal’s network talent.
- Act on feedback to help ensure writers enjoy working with Toptal Publications and are proud of the end result.
- Demonstrated writing and editing experience, with a dedicated focus on development and tech topics.
- Ability to understand and analyze complex concepts, and to explain them in clear, concise, and engaging language.
- Bonus: Hands-on experience with software development and related best practices.
- Strong knowledge of important events and trends across multiple industries at the top of the engineering/development world.
- Unparalleled attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure when needed, managing tight deadlines without sacrificing quality.
- An exceptional eye for quality and a relentless drive to improve anything that falls below your standards or Toptal’s standards.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-starter who is comfortable using common web-based tools and learning new ones as needed.
- You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
For Toptal Use Only: #west #midwest #ussouth #northeast #natechcities #uk