To help the Light Reading and Broadband World News editorial team deliver news and information quickly and consistently by ensuring that our editorial and style standards are met in every story, video, podcast and photo we publish.
Areas of responsibility and accountability
- Copy edit, proofread, and lightly fact– check Light Reading and BBWN news, videos and podcasts for grammar, punctuation, style and accuracy.
- Stay in constant communication with editors to make sure content keeps moving along in our queue system.
- Assist in all parts of the production process to make sure that stories move steadily along and reach our audience as quickly as possible, without sacrificing quality, accuracy, tone or style.
- Make sure our editors have included the right metadata and appropriate, helpful hyperlinks in each post.
- Occasionally collaborate with editors to rewrite headlines, subheads and captions as needed so they fit with the tone and voice of the publication and meet our SEO requirements.
- Help manage our daily social media postings and make sure they meet our publication’s editorial standards for style, tone and voice.
- Various production– related tasks as assigned by the Editor– in– Chief, including sometimes helping post commercial content to specific site sections as needed.
- Maintain a running list of our newsroom’s style guide changes and our small list of deviations from Associated Press Style.
Knowledge and skills
- Excellent writing, editing, copy– editing skills and attention to detail.
- Strong fact– checking and research skills.
- The ability to learn and operate across two or three legacy content management systems.
- Working knowledge of basic HTML coding for our legacy CMS.
- Basic knowledge of photo editing in a news context is helpful, but not essential.
Experience and qualifications
- At least two years of copy editing, proofreading or fact– checking in a daily newsroom or similarly a fast– paced, “always– on” environment.
- Familiarity with AP Style and Google’s SEO recommendations for publishers.
- Demonstrated ability to understand an audience and to help tailor content to serve their needs.
- Four– year college degree or equivalent in proven industry experience.
- Ability to produce quality work quickly on deadline.
- Flexibility to adapt to breaking news cycles and trade show coverage needs when reporters and editors are traveling.
- Must be eager, cooperative and a huge team player.
Why work at Informa
Employee experience is very important to us at Informa. On top of joining a supportive, diverse and ambitious team that welcomes all types of candidates. We are also flexible with different working patterns and prioritizes promotions internally. Our benefits include:
- Learning and development plan to assist with your career development
- 15 days PTO plus 9 national holidays, 4 days for volunteering and a day off for your birthday!
- Competitive Benefits with 401k match
- Paid parental leave
- Work with a high quality of specialist products and service
- Bright and friendly staff who are all “expert’s experts” and additional training and development for helping you achieve your career aspiration
- ESPP – become a shareholder
We know that sometimes the ‘perfect candidate’ doesn’t exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don’t fit all the requirements. If you’re excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we’re looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under federal, state or local law.
See how Informa handles your personal data when you apply for a job here.