Designed for unlimited discovery and unmatched safety, Epic is the leading digital library for kids. With tens of thousands of high– quality books, audiobooks, and videos from the world’s best publishers, every year millions of kids read, learn, and explore on Epic. To learn more about our vision to unlock the potential of every child, visit us at www.getepic.com.
About the job:
Epic’s Originals team is seeking an exceptional Comics Designer to join us on our mission to inspire kids to love to read and learn. The ideal candidate has experience creating kids– centric comic books and a genuine love for sequential storytelling and kid’s books.
What you will be doing:
- Work with illustrators to compose dynamic comics page layouts
- Give notes on thumbnails, pencils, inks, and colors
- Create word balloons, adjust type
- Oversee freelance colorists and flatters
- Help select illustrators for projects
- Work with Creative Director to determine styles for new series
- Perform all art functions when appropriate, including reading and evaluating comic manuscripts
- Work closely with editors, illustrators, and internal team to maintain publication schedules
- Keep up to date on competitive marketplace, both print and digital
- Demonstrate and strive for continued innovation, creativity, consumer, and competitive insights
- Collaborate closely with team to support overall company strategy
What you need to have:
- 3+ years comic design experience
- Strong skills in planning, organizing, teamwork, communication
- Attention to deadlines
- Comic Lettering and word balloon experience
- Willingness to brainstorm and collaborate on new and existing IP
- Ability to work in a fast– paced, rapidly changing environment
- A demonstrated commitment to representation, diversity, and inclusion
Nice to Haves:
- Experience in digital media a plus
- Strong interest in children’s publishing
- Experience working with children’s comics
- Full medical, dental and vision coverage
- 401(k) plan
- Unlimited take– as– you– need vacation
- Free access to Epic Unlimited!
Epic is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age or veteran status.