PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Now, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly– owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Insomniac Games is looking for a mid or senior– level Combat Designer to join our team! This individual is responsible for overseeing and executing on several aspects of the game including, but not limited to, features, mechanics and systems design, level/world design and helping to determine the conventions, processes and practices used to create the product.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Creates clear and concise written documentation, visual design materials, and verbal presentations that describe layout, content, mechanics, systems, and features. Presents these designs to the team and department heads.
- Builds basic level layout; work with Art team on how to evolve the design in order to meet each discipline’s goals and deadlines.
- Implements gameplay and game structures; work with Gameplay Programming team to deliver content that meets each discipline’s goals and deadlines.
- Designs, owns, and prototypes key game play systems; collaborate with Design, Art, and Gameplay Programming teams to ensure that goals are achievable within the given time restraints.
- Follows up with multiple departments on progress of missions or features and updates team as needed through various mediums.
- Addresses bugs and gameplay issues to assure a stable and polished product.
- Helps assess progress, quality, and “user friendliness” of project via methods such as usability testing, focus tests and in– house play tests.
- Provides constructive feedback on all aspects of product; finds opportunities to increase quality of product and advises on how that information may be implemented or held for future products.
- Helps create consistent implementation of gameplay by working to define “best working practices”, processes, standards, and conventions for design team.
- Other duties may be assigned.
A designer may be tasked in one of the following areas of specialization:
- Systems Design: Develops and implements game systems such as economy, balance, progression, ambient features, and/or game wide player activities.
- Combat Design: Develops core game action systems such as player actions, hero powers, enemy factions, and archetypes, and/or boot AI.
- Narrative Design: Alongside the animation and story teams will implement, script, and refine the digital acting sequences, ambient and reactive narrative systems.
Education and/or Experience: Five plus years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced knowledge and experience with level editing tools and scripting (Unreal Engine, Unity, or similar editors).
- Intermediate knowledge of Maya or other major 3D modeling programs.
- Adobe Illustrator experience and UE4 Blueprint Visual scripting skills are a plus.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Thorough understanding of melee combat systems, enemy design and boss design.
- Some awareness of emerging trends that inform modern game design. Ability to analyze these mechanics and apply them to current game designs when appropriate.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills including verbal and written skills are required.
- Must be able to both give and receive critical feedback regarding various aspects of the project.
Does this sound like you? Please submit your resume and portfolio for consideration. We look forward to reviewing your submission!
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.