Join our Editorial Team
Academia.edu is currently seeking an Assistant Editor to support our mission, values, and commitment to open access, data integrity, and innovation in scientific publishing. This is a key role interacting with internal and external stakeholders including external Editorial teams and internal product and operations teams. The successful candidate will play an integral part within the scientific research community by assisting researchers worldwide publish high quality results in a rapid timeframe.
Academia.edu journals offer a global audience of researchers rapid publication and quick dissemination of their peer reviewed published work. Following the success of Academia Letters , an online platform for publishing and sharing brief communications of primary research, Academia.edu will launch a suite of fully open access peer reviewed journals for our global academic community. The journals will provide new places to publish work of interest to a wide audience and will focus around key subject areas starting with biology and medicine. Using the extensive Academia.edu audience we aim to provide rapid, rigorous and peer reviewed publication. Each journal community will connect a large audience of global researchers driving debate and conversation between Editors, researchers and the wider Academia.edu community. Every journal will be led by a renowned Editor in Chief, working alongside an editorial board, providing robust peer review through the large and extensive Academia.edu audience, ensuring authors receive feedback on their work quickly.
The Assistant Editor will be primarily responsible for supporting the peer review and production of papers submitted to our suite of fully open access journals. This role will oversee day– to– day administration of submitted manuscripts within your respective domain of expertise, along with logistics in organizing and coordinating editorial decisions with the Managing Editor and Chief Publishing Officer.
Additional Responsibilities Will Include The Following
- Manage high volume of internal and external email correspondence between parties involved in the publication review and approval process
- Facilitate and track manuscripts through an online author portal from initial submission to final editorial decision
- Perform manuscript checks for compliance that adhere to ethical and scientific standards for the journal after submission, revision and in preparation for acceptance
- Monitor peer review process with a goal of obtaining timely feedback from editors and reviewers
- Actively collaborate with external Editorial teams, internal product and operations teams
To join our team as Assistant Editor, candidates should ideally have a Bachelor, Master or Ph.D. degree in Biology, Chemistry, Engineering, Physics, Computer Science, Materials Science, Agriculture, Medicine and Pharmacy, Ecology and Environmental Sciences (no journalism or arts degrees).
It is highly recommended that before applying candidates should ensure they:
- Experience working at an open access publisher.
- Have a proven track record in overseeing day– to– day activities while meeting time sensitive deadlines, and a focus on customer service
- Exhibit a talent for exceptional oral and written communication skills in (American) English
- Display an enthusiastic attitude, great analytical skill and ability to pay close attention to detail
- Are capable of working independently and demonstrate initiative
- Provide decisive and tactful directives when collaborating with multiple stakeholders
- Able to pattern with team members based in California
- Be able to adapt to change, handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously and to prioritize individually
- Have technical proficiency, with hands– on skills using software such as Google Suite, Gmail, Microsoft Word, etc.
- Have the ability of handling publication logistics for a large volume of manuscripts
- Competitive compensation
- Professional and personal development
- Work from home
- Flexible working hours
<!– – AI CONTENT END 1 – – >